Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Damn it...

I think my New Years Resolution should be to blog more frequently. And also to make those resolutions when it is actually New Years, not 2 weeks later. My current news is a trip to London and Belgium (fun pics to follow) and a new found love of Honey-Mustard Onion Pretzels. I know the pretzel thing is going to throw people off, considering my picky taste in food. But it's becoming a real addiction/problem.

Also, Actual Library-Related News (ALRN from hence forth) ! Awards were announced this week for Newbery and Caldacott medal winners! (The most important awards in LibraryLand) I just finished "The Invention of Hugo Cabret",by Brian Selznick which won the Caldacott. A bold choice, some might say. It would never win, though deserving, some said. But it did and I thought it was a grand choice. At first I was really surprised, since the award goes to a picture book, and pretty much has always gone to those traditional-type books of 32 or so pages. You know the ones, the skinny ones you read as baby. But Hugo is over 400 pages! However, after reading it, the choice was perfect. The pictures worked so well with the text and were GORGEOUS. I wasn't too crazy about the story itself (which actually is fine, since the award depends on art and how it works with the text, not the story itself) but it truly was an experience to read. I'm glad the committee took a chance.

The Newbery choice was "Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village" by Laura Amy Schlitz. I had only read it quickly when it came in after I ordered it, but I really enjoyed it, even though as I ordered it I thought, "No one will ever use this book, but it sounds great, so screw it!" I am very pleased it got some recognition after all. I will give it a better reading when it comes back to the library (in 5 million years after everyone looks at it).

I have set up a lovely award-winning book display in the back, which no one has yet to even look at. Sigh. It can be so frustrating sometimes.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home